Thursday, June 26, 2014

Weekly Email June 23rd

Dear Family!! 

Well it seems like I was just on to email yesterday. Man, it sure is crazy how fast time flies by. This past week we went and were able to get in with a less-active family--the Millers. The parents weren't home at all so we just talked to the kids. We asked if we could read some scriptures with them so the kids all got together, we read scriptures with them, and then the very next day they (the kids) invited us back to do the same thing! We were able to go there 2 times this past week and it was great! 

Another lady that we have been working with is named Loretta. She has so much going on in her life--trying to figure out whether or not she wants to get a divorce, dealing with kids, and yeah. This past week we taught her about prayer and gave her a few different conference talks to read. She is super open and I am excited to see where things go with her. This next week we hope to be able to get her to understand the importance of baptism, how we can have the gift of the Holy Ghost after baptism and get her with a baptismal date! 

We have this older... okay, wayyyy older, lady that requested missionaries to come and visit her. We've dropped in on her a few times, but she has never been feeling up to meeting with us. It's never been a big deal for us dropping in and she's never told us not to or that she would rather us call first. About a week ago we stopped by and set an appointment with her at night for a few days later. The day before we called to make sure it would still work. We left a message and never heard back from here. The day of, we still had not heard one thing. Her house was a bit out of our way and in the morning we were already in that area, so we decided we would knock on her door to make sure she would still be up for her appointment that night. Well that was a baaaaaddddd idea. She chewed us out for a good 20 minutes on how it was rude to come and see people and then requested the bishop's phone number to "punish" us because "we deserved to be punished." As we were leaving she told us that she still wanted to meet with us ut that she would call us. We are still waiting to hear back from her...

The past few weeks we have been seeing a variety of different people who have gone through some significant life trials. It has been super interesting to see them from an outsiders point of view. Some people let themselves get hardened because of their circumstances and other people turn to the Lord and trust him. It's just like after the war chapters in Alma when it says: "because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Lamanites many had becomehardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many wersoftened because of their afflictionsinsomuch thatthey did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility. This has really helped me to confirm for myself that no matter what "wars" or challenges I go through in life, I always want to turn to the Lord because He is the only that can help me heal and become whole. I know that getting my VISA is not a significant life trial, but it does matter to me. Seeing all of these different people and studying this has really helped me to realize that even if I don't get my VISA, it is okay. The Lord still loves me and He is doing what is best for me and I don't have to have a reason why. 

The work is going well here. My goal for this upcoming week is to remain positive and to try my best to uplift others. 

Thank you for all that you do! I love you all sooo sooo much!! God be with you!

Sister Beth Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment