Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Farragut Email!

Tuesday June 3

Hey everyone!

The internet has been down, so I wasn't able to email yesterday. I am at the mission office, so I don't really have any time now either. I am now up in Farragut East... right by the mission office and home. I am with Sister Hamilton and she is super great! She is so enthusiastic and willing to work hard! I think that we are going to have such a great time here.  The work is going well here. There is a lot of work that needs to be done, but we have already been so blessed as it is! I am learning names of people as fast as I can. I think that this will be a super great ward.... it reminds me a lot of what I think a Utah ward would be like. Hope all is well! If I get more time to email later, I will shoot one off! 

Love you all tons!! 

Sister Spencer

Wednesday June 4

Dear Family! 

Okay, time for a more legit email. 

So being down in Farragut is completely and one hundred percent different from being in Bristol. The houses are all like mini-mansions/full mansions. The ward here seems pretty much exactly like a Utah ward. And we get fed dinner absolutely every single night, most nights they make a "special, just made for you" dessert. They are all good things, just completely different from what I have been used to. Because of various circumstances, Sister Hamilton and her last companion (the one that I replaced) were not able to do a ton of work, so there weren't really any investigators that were progressing too much in the area. The first few days here were pretty hard for me. I really missed being in Bristol, and I didn't quite know where I could jump in to get to work. However, Sister Hamilton has been so great and so we have been able to get straight to work! I'll describe the days that we've had and some of the people that we've met since I've been here! 

Wednesday: Met a less-active lady named Ann Nelson. She currently claims to be a Catholic, but she was baptized about 3 years ago. We had a super awesome lesson with her and she agreed to study Christ-like characteristics with us with a member from the congregation. 

Thursday: Discouraging day to be completely honest. We met some members of the ward, and had District Meeting. My District now is nothing like my old one. (Thank heavens it is not Relief Society central!) I think that I will really like this district, there are so many people in it though that it will take a bit to get to know everyone. 

Friday: Had a lesson with a member named Marie Morrison. We taught her about the Brother of Jared making the boats to go across the sea. The spirit was super strong! Sister Hamilton and I were able to teach with unity!  Parts of this day were really hard for me, but it was significantly better than Thursday.

Saturday: Weekly planned and contacted a bunch of potential investigators. An older lady named Edna, let us right into her house. We were able to teach her the Restoration right then! She said how she knew that everything that we said was true. She doesn't completely understand that the church she attends doesn't have the priesthood authority to baptize, but we are working on it. SAW FIREFLIES FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!!! 

Sunday: Church. Oh my goodness. The ward is so big! I tried my hardest to memorize everyone's names, but it was still difficult because everyone looked so similar! We also taught a part-member family named the Coys. In the past he has been a bit hard-hearted, but he really opened up to what we had to share and even added some input to what we were saying! At the end of the night we went and had dinner with a member named the Ludingtons. It was really fun to get to know them!

Monday- P-DAY!!! At the end of the night we were able to teach one of our potential investigators named Jessica. The lesson went pretty good, I'm excited to go back and teach her more! 

Tuesday- Best day so far in Farragut!! The coolest thing happened at the end of the night. We went to go and contact a potential investigator. They were there and said that we could come back anytime, but at that moment it was not good timing. We decided to go down the street a little ways and to knock a few doors. Normally when we knock a few doors, we decide to go to houses that have cars out front/look like people are home. Well, when we were passing this one house, Sister Hamilton and I decided to stop and knock despite the fact that it did not look like anyone was home. Long story short, this one girl named Winter was home. In Sister Hamilton's first area, she met Winter and helped her move into an apartment with her boyfriend. Since that time, Winter had broken up with her boyfriend and moved back home. She had started to research religion a little bit and decided that she needed to be baptized. So, we were able to teach her the Message of the Restoration and we soft-committed her for baptism. When we were talking to her about baptism, she started talking about how she is afraid of going to new places. We told her not to worry and that we could do a church tour some time. She asked if we could do one right then, so we went on over to the church and did one! It was so cool though because Winter felt the spirit so strong and kept saying how she was having all of these little "God moments." Times like these make all of the hard times worth it! 

I am really liking being with Sister Hamilton! She is a super hard worker and I know that we will be able to have a ton of success as we work hard. It's going to be a good transfer! 

I love y'all so much! Hope you have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment