Monday, June 9, 2014

News from Farragut

Dear Family!! 

Well it has been a pretty good week. I am enjoying being with Sister Hamilton. She is super supportive of me and is game for working hard, which I really appreciate. This area is a bit harder than my last area. It is a TON richer, so it is harder to get investigators. We don't have a ton of investigators right now, but Sister Hamilton and I are working super hard to get some more! 

I mentioned Winter in my last email. She is absolutely and one hundred percent awesome!! This past week we taught her the Plan of Salvation in the Chapel and soft-committed her for baptism on June 28th. (soft commitment-if someone comes to know what we are saying is true, they will be baptized on that date).  It was really cool because when we where in the lesson, everything that she said she told us that she could see it being true, but she wanted to pray about it and ask God if it was true first.... perfectly fine by us! She worked on Sunday, so she wasn't able to attend church, but she siad that she would get next Sunday off and come! Sister Hamilton and I are SUPER excited to see where things go with her!!

All of the missionaries in this area put on this Amazing Grace concert yesterday. In all honesty, it was a bit stressful. There wasn't really one person who took control of it, so during the practices it was just all of us standing around. But despite everything, we had a really good turn-out and everyone did a wonderful job. There were just a bunch of songs sung about Jesus Christ and his life and then some narrations. I had a narration part, and not a singing part, thank goodness!! Oh, and Winter came to this and she mentioned how much she loved it and that she felt so at home there! It was so awesome!! 


There is this lady in our ward that is from Brazil, Monica, and she has offered to help all of the VISA-Waiter missionaries out with Portuguese. We had our first meeting this past week. Me and two other Elders who are waiting for their VISA went over to her house and she helped us out. It was super cool because she started to speak and I could pick up about 90% of what she was saying. It made me feel good to realize that some of the work that I have put forth with my language study is paying off! 

Yesterday at church was super good. I feel like I was able to receive some answers to some of my prayers. It never ceases to surprise me how when we pay attention at church, whatever the message is, we can always gleam something from the message and relate it to the situation that we are in. One thing that I have been studying a lot this past week is faith and hope. I've come to realize more and more that faith and hope are connected. When we have more faith we know that Lord will fulfill his promises to us and so that leads us to hope in a better future. In Ether 12:4 it says: "Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place a the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." This scripture has been my motto for the past week. 

Well I love you all TONS!!! 

Sister Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment