Friday, August 30, 2013

MTC Stay Prolonged and Upcoming Surgery!

Dear Family!

Another week at the MTC has passed by, and I am still here... and will be for a while now. I guess that the biggest news for this week is that I will be getting surgery on Wednesday, September 4th. My new departure date for the MTC is now September 25th. I'm doing my best to stay positive with it. I guess that I am tad bit disappointed that I will be here for so long, but I know that the Lord will take care of me and that I am where I need to be right now! I am hoping that I will heal quickly so that I will be able to leave sooner. And, the odds of me getting my visa while I am here are VERY likely! So hopefully after this, I will be able to go straight to Brazil! One thing that I am worried about with being here is that my Portuguese won't progress as much as I would like it to. With my district being gone, it is much harder to talk in Portuguese since the district that I am with does not like to. Since I will be here for a while, I am not sure what exactly will happen. I should find out in the next few days. 

My whole district left this week for their reassignments. It was pretty sad to see them go. Especially waking up Wednesday morning and being the only one in the room... yeah, that was super weird. On Wednesday morning I moved in with another district. There were 4 girls in the room that I moved into. Right now I am in a trio. My companions are Sister Peterson and Sister Van Wagenen. They are both super nice! On Thursday I had a ton of doctor's appointments so they were super patient with me going to each one. I really am appreciating all of their patience. I also moved in with another district. It is sort of weird because it is not the people that I am used to being around, but they are super nice. They are definitely a very musical district. When they got their reassignments, before opening them, they all decided that they wanted to sing two hymns first.... something that I am not used to, but hey, whatever floats their boat I guess. Yesterday they received their re-assignments. Two of the sisters are leaving Monday morning and going to Georgia and the other sister is leaving on Wednesday morning going to Ohio. They are super excited and I am super excited for them! Thoughts of going out of the MTC are always pretty exciting! It is sort of sad to see everyone go though. 

Tuesday Devotional was SO awesome!!! We had another apostle come and talk to us. It was Neil A. Anderson. He talked about sacrifice and love. One of the things he said that really stuck with me is that: "We sacrifice for those we love, and we love the things we sacrifice for." I really liked that quote. It is so true. After that, he went and talked about how Christ sacrificed and gave his life for us and he loves us very much. He related it to missionary work and it was very powerful. At the very end, he shared a story about the importance of always sharing your testimony. He had a former missionary come up and share an experience about how he shared his testimony one time and that was one of the things that made an investigator interested in the church. It was pretty cool. I hope that when I am on my mission that I will always have the courage to share my testimony with others! Definitely something that I want to strive for. 

I have become an avid sleep talker apparently. Before my former companion left for Brazil, she woke up to me saying "Vamos a Brasil, e voce? ... Ah, muito bom". And then two nights ago, I woke up one of my new roommates because I was laughing. And then last night another girl was having trouble going to sleep and I said "E muito importante a usar a preterit." It's pretty cool hearing everything that I say, but I feel like I have become much more talkative in my sleep! It's definitely pretty fun!

Yesterday I attended the "in-field" training again. It was exactly the same as the week before, so no surprises there. I felt like I should use my time more productively than doing the same thing over and over, so I memorized all of the irregular preterit verbs. It was nice. My goal for this week is to master the subjunctive verbs, when to use them, and to create a a ton of sentences to help me practice them! I have also been learning a ton of vocab which is super nice. Even with my district being gone, I still feel like for right now, I have enough things to do so that I can push myself to learn more. 

Well, not much has really happened this week, it's just been an odd week. Even with this being a more of a difficult week, I am SO grateful to be a missionary and have the opportunity to serve the Lord! I know that the Lord is watching out for me, and all of us and that he loves us all very much! I love you all very much! 

Sister Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment