Friday, September 20, 2013

Week 10 . . . And still counting!

Dear Family! 

This now makes 10 weeks that I have been at the MTC.... super long. There have definitely been ups and downs here though. I figured out that I study about 6 1/2- 7 hours by myself a day. Super long. I have been trying my hardest to stay productive and keep my mind focused, but it can get a bit hard, especially when I don't have any investigators and lessons to prepare. There was one day in particular where I was getting pretty down. I said a prayer asking that I would be able to have some people to help teach, or some investigators. Not even two minutes after I had said my prayer, one of my old teachers, Irmao Van Wagenor, came up to me and told me that there was a Sister in the district that he was currently teaching that wanted some extra help and asked if I would be willing to help her out! I was so excited!!! Then, after we had finished talking, not even a minute later, another teacher came out and started talking to me. He mentioned how the district he was teaching just barely got here 5 days ago and asked if I would be willing to help them out during their coaching missionary study. Dang, immediate answer to my prayers!!! While these were answers to my prayers, the best part is that I was actually able to help them! The very next day I helped out the whole new district, and the day after, I helped out Sisters (Sister Passey and Sister Eddington) from Irmao Van Wagenor's district. It was so awesome!! My prayers were definitely answered, and it was definitely an answer that I needed right then! 

For devotional this Tuesday, I was still on my little scooter so I got to take the shuttle over to the Marriot Center. It was pretty cool though because on the way to the Marriot Center, we stopped at the Wyview west MTC campus to pick up missionaries who also couldn't walk over. When we stopped there for a minute, I saw one of my good friends from freshman year at BYU. I got to have a quick 30 second conversation and it was definitely very nice! Then, once we got to the Marriot Center, because I was limping and can't really walk like a normal person, one of the workers took me down to the floor level on the elevator and so I actually got to be on the floor instead of climbing all over the bleachers! Super nice!! On the way back from devotional, the driver went and dropped all of the senior missionaries off at the Marriot Hotel first, so we got to drive around Provo. For being in the MTC, it was definitely a tender mercy for me just to see the outside world! 

As it turns out, for the Relief Society General Conference, they wanted to do a sister missionary choir for it. All of my companions are SUPER into singing, so we have been going to every possible choir practice so that we could get in there. Last Sunday, we filled out a survey and we all made it into the choir, so for the Relief Society General Conference session, you might see me on the camera!! My companions are all unbelievably excited about singing in the choir and I find it to be kind of funny. I'm not much of a singer, but I am very excited at the prospect of being on TV and getting to go down to Salk Lake! :) 

Probably the news that I am most excited to tell you is something that happened to me yesterday! I was sitting outside in the hall, studying like I always do when the person in charge of the referral center walked past. I introduced myself to him when I first got here and he knows some of my situation now so we got to talking. He invited me to come and start working in the referral center until my foot heals so I can leave. As soon as he said that, it just sounded right. It felt right, it sounds right, and I REALLY want to do that! On Monday morning, he said he would be in his office again so he told me that I could just come on over and that he would get things figured out for me to be there! This sure beats studying by myself for 6 1/2 hours a day!! AND there is a possibility that I could talk to people you speak Portuguese so I could practice my Portuguese as well. I am so excited for this!! I'm going to talk to my Branch President about it on Sunday, but I put in a good word with his wife when she came to talk to us last night, so I think that it will all work out! I sure hope it does! If it does work out and I get to be there, and then I get a re-assignment, it would be super cool because it would be like I would have 3 missions in one! I am SO excited for this!!! :) 

They have started making these divine salads at the MTC. I am in love with them. It sure beats all of the other food that they have here. They had a SUPER good pulled pork one the other day. It reminded me of cafe rio and made me very happy! :) 

Here are a few quotes that I thought were really cool: "There are at least two angels for every missionary. We are definitely among heavenly beings at the MTC." and ..."Let us love at all times. Our own spirits become healed, more refined, and stronger as we serve others." I thought both of those were super cool! 

I love you all! Thank you for all of your letters and support this week! You are in my prayers!! 
 
The church is true and Christ lives! Prayer is amazing!! 

Sister Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment